Commencement Ceremony Information
The August 2013 Commencement Ceremony is Friday, August 16, 2013, at the Pinnacle Bank Arena, 400 Pinnacle Arena Drive, located on R Street, west of 9th Street. Directions to the Arena are at the end of this message.
Follow the signs inside the Arena and report to the loading dock staging area at the north end on ground level no later than 2:00 p.m. Leave your personal items and valuables with your guests. You guests cannot accompany you to the loading dock staging area due to space limitations.
The processional begins promptly at 2:50 p.m., and you must be checked in, wearing your regalia and in line before that time. Your name pronunciation will be confirmed when you check in before your ceremony.
Late arrivals will be placed in line by the Marshals. Your ceremony begins at 3:00 p.m. Students who participate in the ceremony are expected to remain for the entire event. You will not be allowed to depart before the recessional.
- Campus parking lots are available on Friday, August 16, if you have a University-issued parking permit for that type of lot.
- Free parking is available in the 14th & Avery Garage and adjacent surface lot.
- Free shuttle buses will run from the 14th & Avery Garage and adjacent surface lot to the commencement venue. Shuttles will begin running two hours before the ceremony.
- Paid parking is available in two garages in the vicinity of the Arena: the Arena VIP Garage for $5.00 flat fee, and the Red #1 Garage for $3.00 flat fee. Enter the VIP Garage from Arena Drive. Enter Red #1 Garage from R Street.
Admission to Commencement
Your family and friends are cordially invited to attend and may sit in any non-reserved seats other than the main floor, which is set for the graduates, faculty, and dignitaries. Tickets are not required for the ceremony. Handicap seating for commencement guests is available in sections 106, 107, 110, 112, 114, 117 and 118 on the main concourse level of the Pinnacle Bank Arena. The commencement ceremony at the Arena will be streamed live on the UNL website at www.unl.edu.
All participants are required to wear academic caps, gowns and hoods appropriate to the degree they are being awarded at this ceremony at commencement. Doctoral graduates will carry their hoods for the processional and be hooded as part of the ceremony. All other graduates must wear their hoods for the entire ceremony.
Each candidate who participates in the Commencement will receive their diploma on the stage. Doctoral graduates will also be hooded onstage. All candidates will proceed to the stage alphabetically by degree from their seats, as directed by the Faculty Marshals.
A professional photographer will take your picture as you are hooded and then handed your diploma.
All financial obligations to the University must be satisfied before your diploma will be released. If you are uncertain about this matter, check with the Office of student Accounts, 124 Canfield Administration Building North, (402) 472-2887.
Candidates who choose not to participate in Commencement may receive their diploma as follows:
1. Pick it up on Saturday, August 16, between 9:30am-10:30am, you must present a photo ID to claim your diploma.
2. Pick it up at the Graduation Services Office, 109 Canfield Administration Building South, beginning the Monday following Commencement, you must present a photo ID to claim your diploma.